Sunday 9 March 2008

Some clients are not happy

Some people are not happy. It's not a temporary thing. They are simply not happy because life does not match their personal image of what perfection should be. I don't normally care. But every now and then one of them wants to buy some product or service that I offer. And because they are showering me with R100 per month they feel they have the right to tell me how to run my business.

"I don't have a credit card because they are evil instruments, the spawn of the devil, and on principle I will not use them. If you want my money then I will make a monthly deposit into your account."

"We are able to accept payment by debit order in exceptional circumstances. I will send you the form."

"Debit order? Are you insane? I am not going to let anybody invade my bank account. I have told you, I will make a monthly deposit into your account."

"Under the circumstances, and given the cost of reconciling your monthly deposit each month, I am afraid that I cannot accept your money."

"What kind of business are you? Haven't you heard of the concept of looking after your clients? You will do business with me, and I will pay you in the manner that I choose. It's your job to make it easy for me to do that."

I must admit that I once fell prey to one of these folk. Of course, given that this was the only person on earth paying us this way, it was relatively easy to forget all this money barrelling into my bank account.

"I must say that I am deeply disappointed with your service. This is the third time in the past two years that your system has locked me out. Honestly, you put yourself forth as an business guru, and you cannot even get something as simple as this right."

"Under the circumstances, can I humbly suggest that we cancel this arrangement, because it is patently not working for you? And I must be honest and say I am having trouble reconciling this single payment which is outside our normal protocols."

"If I had wanted to leave I would already have done so. I will leave when I am ready."

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned my Dad passing away. And I suggested, gently, that it might be a good thing just to touch the people that you love. That same day I received an e-mail from somebody who was deeply unhappy that I mixed my personal affairs into my "business e-mail", and felt that this was a good enough reason to unsubscribe.

Late last night I received an e-mail from somebody read that same email and then set up a weekend in Cape Town with his Dad and his son and himself. He just wanted to tell me that his Dad had told him it was the most wonderful experience of his life.

Isn't life interesting?

But that's the reason I want a constant stream of new clients, because I don't deserve some of the old ones -- no matter how naughty I was when I was a kid.

FCBH243JU

About this blog...

In March 2004 I set up the Business Warrior community - an online community of South African small business owners. They give me a unique insight into the challenges small businesses face coming to grips with a changing environment. The problems they face are the same as anywhere else (cash flow, marketing, sales, staffing, banks, taxes, and the whole litany) compounded with high crime levels and a very interesting political situation. My role is to research trends and challenges, and come up with useful and effective solutions for 1500 business owners.